As I am reading through the Book of Job, I am continually reminded that he was afflicted with a tremendous amount of suffering and pain. I sometimes feel guilty for my complaints when I read his. During one of his speeches given to his friends he asks a question, "Have I not wept for the one whose life is hard" (30:25)?
Job, as far as we know, was wealthy before disaster struck. His children enjoyed the wealth of their father, his hired servants enjoyed the prosperity of their master, and his friends, no doubt, enjoyed his company. But Job, a man of compassion, wept for those whose lives were hard. Job was now in a hard position, and his understanding of the plight of those who have hard lives is raw and real. From that point on, when he wept over those whose life was hard, he would do it from a new perspective.
God allows hard lives for many of his children. He allows it through bad decisions made on the part of the individual. He allows it in order to bring about something better. In Job's case he allowed an instant hardness. No matter how hard life arrives, it is allowed by and decreed by God to be so.
So with that said, should we grieve because we have a hard life or be joyful? I say both. But let me qualify joy as not being happy because life is hard, but being satisfied that God is sovereign. These two emotions can co-exist. Job grieved, contemplated, and complained. Job also worshiped and rejoiced in the fact that God is good despite his circumstances.
Maybe you don't have a hard life. God may have allowed you to have all you need and want. You are, in your words, "truly blessed." But for those that struggle life is hard. Life is full of second guessing. Did I go wrong here? Is that the decision that messed everything up? Why has God allowed this in my life? Are we sinful for asking those questions internally? Job explored those questions. At the end of the day, God told Job to hush up and consider who He was and how powerful He was and all wealth and ease existed in Him alone. Job's spirit was quieted before God. He worshiped. He was still hurt. He was still depressed (he had just lost all of his children), but he worshiped God. That is encouraging. That is reality. We can be sad, emotionaly exhausted, frustrated, and yet, we can worship God because He is sovereign.
Be like Job. Have pity on those whose life is hard. If you have had a hard life, but God has allowed you to come into an easier life, share that with others for encouragement. If your life is hard today, hang in there. Pray to God, ask questions, search for ways to make it better, and above everything else trust God. Worship God. Praise God.
Amen, I enjoyed reading this, and found myself relating with a llot of what was written, I will be sharing this. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteEsther, thank you very much. I found it therapeutic write this post. My prayer is others will find it therapeutic in the reading. Have a great day in Lord!
ReplyDelete